
I saw some photos today that just blessed my heart. An old friend has been installed as pastor of the church he grew up in…First Baptist Church in Washington, Ga.
What makes it so special for me? Well…I had the honor of being there when that precious young man gave his heart to Jesus.
Oh, how I loved going to Camp Stephens each summer when I was a teenager. It was held at A.H. Stephens State Park in Crawfordville, Ga., about an hour or so from where I grew up. I loved it because for the first time in my young life, I came into contact with like-minded people…people who loved Jesus like I did.
Each year, it seemed that the same people came back as counselors, and we developed some close bonds. We all went to high schools in the same area, and many of our schools were bitter rivals on the football field. But none of that mattered at Camp Stephens. We were all there for the fun, the pranks, the wonderful campfires, the skits, the cold showers, the congealed grits and frisbee toast and, most wonderful of all, the fellowship with each other.
It was at this camp that I learned the importance of really getting on my face before God and praying. We used to meet down at the dock on the lake, after our campers were safely tucked into their beds, and we'd pray. We prayed for each other…we prayed for our leaders that week at camp…we prayed for those kids that we knew were struggling…we prayed for those that we knew needed Jesus. There were some nights we stayed up just about all night praying. It was flippin' awesome!
I also learned how to lead a person to Christ at Camp Stephens. Oh, I knew, in theory, what to do. But I'd never really done it much. But each year, we had to go through a kind of "boot camp" that reminded us of what we needed to do to help someone accept Jesus as their Savior.
The first year I went as a counselor, I had three little girls in my cabin, ages 9 and 10. They were adorable, and imitated everything I did and said. I had to be extra careful. But I had so much fun with them. Toward the end of the week, two of them brought the third one to me, and said, "She wants to be saved." It just curled my toenails to be able to sit down with that sweet little girl and lead her to the throne of grace. She prayed a simple and sweet little prayer, and asked Jesus to come into her heart. I found an adult from her church that was at the camp, and shared her decision with that adult, so someone at home could help her learn the next steps on her journey, after camp.
But back to my friend. It was at Camp Stephens that I met Kevin Madden, a blue-eyed, funny, sweet, white-blonde boy, with a huge smile and a little sunburned, turned-up nose. I was smitten. He was so hysterical, and had a sense of humor every bit as twisted as mine. We became buddies, and hung out a lot. I just enjoyed his company so much.
Behind those blue eyes, though, I sensed there was a longing for something more. I didn't know at the time what it was…I thought maybe it was just that he was seeking acceptance from others. I noticed that instead of hanging around kids his own age, Kevin seemed to want to hang out with the counselors more. Which was okay with us – we all loved him! I knew, somehow, that he needed more than just our acceptance. I began to pray for Kevin. I remember saying, "Lord, I don't even know what to pray. But you know his heart."
Well…long story short, Kevin eventually gave his heart to Jesus that week. And I got to help him do it. I don't share this in any way to point at myself…but instead to point to God. Just look at what He's done…He took a boy who was willing to give his heart to Jesus all the way to another country to serve Him…and now God has brought him full circle…back to where it all started...his home church, to lead others to Jesus and build up those who already know and love Him. How awesome is that!!??
When I look at this picture, I see an awesome man of God. But I also see that young man, with his sunburned nose and that blonde hair, bowing his head and humbly asking Jesus into his heart. I see my friend and my brother in Christ.
Thank you God…for allowing us to see you work in such mighty ways. Thank you for using cracked pots like me as you, the Potter, mold and shape the lives of others.
Confession: I snitched this picture from your Facebook, Kevin…I didn't think you'd mind. You're in my prayers, bro.

2 comments:
Thanks Angye for taking the time to share your memories and your encouragement. The Lord is so awesome and what a joy it is to remember the people He has used to bring me closer to Jesus. I remember that week at camp - and it is forever a part of my testimony of how Christ came into my life as my Lord & Savior. Thank you for your loving and joyful witness, and may we both continue to share Christ the way others shared Him with us!
Thanks Kevin!
Post a Comment