Amanda said lots of funny stuff during our visit. She was sitting with me while I put on my makeup one morning, and she asked my why I put on makeup. I said, "I have to put on makeup or I'll scare small children." Amanda thought for a second and said, "Gigi, you won't scare small children. I'm not sure about adults."
On Christmas morning, after all the gifts had been passed out, Amanda looked at her pile and said, "Well, I guess I wasn't so bad after all."
What a kid.
But she also makes me think. She asked me if I was ever going to get married. I told her, "I hope so. Someday."
Amanda was smart enough to not say, "Well, Gigi, you ain't gettin' any younger." I've mentioned before how smart she is.
But the question got me to thinking...will I ever get married? My answer for myself is the same answer I gave Amanda: I hope so. Someday.
I've had some people tell me that I'm too picky. But isn't that my right? I mean, I don't want to marry some guy just because he asked, and then be miserable. I've seen people in my lifetime who were married and miserable. That's not for me.
Besides, I don't really think I'm that picky. I mean, I do have standards. But it's fairly simple, what I'm looking for. I want a man who's completely in love with Jesus, makes me laugh, appreciates and loves me exactly as I am, and is intelligent. And he must at least tolerate the Georgia Bulldogs. He doesn't have to love them like I do. That is, after all, impossible. But as long as he gives up a "Woof Woof!" every now and then when they're playing, it will suffice. As for looks, I don't really have a "type"...as long as he bathes regularly, I don't care what color his hair or eyes are. And...oh yeah...I do like facial hair. On him. Not me.
I don't think that's being picky.
Someone once told me that I should just go with Mr. Right Now...that one of these days, I'd be with a Mr. Right Now, and the "now" part would just fade away, and he'd be Mr. Right. I discounted that advice right then and there. Why would I settle for less than God's best for me? Mr. Right Now? Are you kidding me?
I also don't care for the whole knight in shining armor thing. Shining armor implies that the guy hasn't lived...no dents, no scuffs, no dings...I think I'd rather have a guy in dented armor. At least dented armor shows he's been through some stuff and has come out on the other side a better and stronger man. My armor's dented too.
I recently saw a friend's post on Facebook, via her daughter. I thought it summed it all up pretty darn well: "Run...just run...run towards Christ and live for Him. Don't look in any other direction, and when the time is right, and you feel strong and whole, glance to the side and see who is running next to you." Those are the words of Sarah Swafford. I don't know who she is, but she's pretty darn smart. That's what I strive to do. Just keep running. And one day, I'll realize there's someone running along side me, and he'll be the one.
So to those of you thinking, "Dang Angye! Ain't you ever gonna get hitched? What are you waiting for?"
What am I waiting for? A good running partner. And I'll keep waiting for him...even if I don't find him until the day before I die. As Julia Roberts said in "Steel Magnolias"...."I'd rather have 30 minutes of wonderful than a lifetime of nothing special."
That's what I'm trusting God for. I believe so. Someday.

No comments:
Post a Comment