Tuesday, May 24, 2011

I wonder how much clarity a person has when he knows he's going to die. Do the leaves get greener on the trees? Does a breeze on his face feel a million times better? Does he see something in the eyes of loved ones that no one else can see?

I don't know. But I've often wondered. It just seems that people who know this about themselves have such clarity, and very often, such peace.

I've often wondered why we aren't born with expiration dates on the bottom of our feet. Perhaps if we knew when our final day was going to be, we'd all behave a little bit differently. Maybe we'd appreciate others more. Maybe we'd take the time to experience life a little more and work a little less. Maybe we'd say "I love you" more and "I don't have time right now" a lot less. Maybe there would never be a need for that thing where you hold up your pointer finger, indicating to someone he or she will just have to wait while you finish your phone call.

But God knows best. He probably didn't think we could handle it. And we'd probably do all we could to be sure that we live far past that pre-set date. We'd somehow muck it up.

But would it hurt to live like that? Even for just a little while?

I don't care to know when my final day would be, but I do want to live like there's no tomorrow. After all, God didn't promise us tomorrow, only that He'd be with us through today. So I think I'll let Him guide me through this day, since He knows what tomorrow brings. Especially if tomorrow is the date stamped on the bottom of my foot.

1 comment:

Chatty Crone said...

Maybe we would or maybe we wouldn't - you know what I mean - I think not knowing keeps us off balance and having to think a bit.