There are some things that just mean Christmas to me. These things make me all warm and fuzzy, and may even evoke a tear or two.
Christmas trees. Obviously. When I see a gorgeously decorated tree, I get all goose pimply like a great big pimply goose. Seriously. I just love a pretty, over the top, disgustingly holiday-ish tree. Add some snow, and I will melt. Seriously. Puddle on the floor.
Christmas movies. I am a sucker for them. I will watch "Elf" over and over, along with "White Christmas." Those are my faves. I also have to see "Little Women," which isn't traditionally a Christmas movie, but I have to see it. Then there's "A Nightmare Before Christmas," which I have likely usually already seen at Halloween, but I watch it again because, why not? And I will watch every rendition of "A Christmas Carol" there is. Twice. I love curling up on the couch, in a room lit only by my Christmas tree, and getting lost in a good Christmas movie. Any good Christmas movie.
Christmas music. This time of year, you can't go anywhere without hearing it. But I have to admit, the second I can find a station on the radio that's playing it -- usually at one minute past midnight on Thanksgiving -- I start listening to it. Yes. I am one of those people. I do not apologize. Certain songs get me in the holiday mood. I can hear "Christmas Time is Here" from the Charlie Brown cartoon, and I immediately start with the warm fuzzies. Such happy memories of my childhood, watching that special each and every year.
"Silent Night" is another one. Just thinking about the meaning of that song...that night...so long ago. I remember riding on a float in the Christmas parade when I was a kid, singing with the children's choir from church. We sang that song, and that was the first time I remember really thinking about the words. I think that was the first time that I realized that it truly was a holy night.
Presents. Oh, not for the reason you might think. I'm not going to lie...I enjoy getting a present as much as anyone. But the true joy when it comes to presents is giving them. I should go back in time and tell my 9-year-old self that. I'd probably slap me.
I have to say, I enjoy the process. I enjoy the hunt. Searching for just the right gift for each person. I have anguish each year over it. I really want to please the people I'm buying for. I love seeing faces light up when they see the gift, and are pleased with it.
Giving someone something that they love is a great feeling.
Kids in Christmas plays: Little kids in sheets with tinsel for halos. Bathrobe-clad shepherds. A little boy looking nervously and his "wife" Mary. I love it. All of it. Sweet little faces, who maybe don't even yet understand the significance of the events they're portraying. It's even better when they sing something. Anything. Just heavenly.
Manger scenes. I love them. All of them. There's one at my mom's church that's been going up as long as I can remember. It's life-size. I, sadly, don't have any photos of it, but I plan to remedy that this year. Just because it's part of Christmas to me. When I rode down that street as a kid, and I saw that scene, carefully placed, on the lawn at Lincolnton Baptist, I knew it was officially Christmas.
Mama's house: For me, there's no place to have Christmas besides my Mama's house. I can't even think about having it anyplace else, although for several years, we did. We had Christmas at my brother's house for a few years, and it was great. But it wasn't Mama's. There's just something about going home for the holidays. No place I'd rather be.
Each year, I know Mama gets ready for us to be home for the holiday, and she stresses a little. Between getting the house ready and the meals in order and the spare pillows and blankets in place...she's got her hands full. But we don't really care if the house is ready. We can get our own pillows and blankets out of the hall closet. And as for the meals, well, peanut butter and jelly is fine, as long as we all eat it together.
Sitting around together at Mama's house each year, I remember that I am a very lucky lady. I still have my parents, my brothers are happy and have wonderful children, and I have all of them. I am blessed.
I really am blessed. Now if we could just get some snow...
Tuesday, December 20, 2016
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment