But I have to say, since I moved to Tifton, I have gotten more than my fair share of personal attacks from people I very likely have never met. Some of them have been downright rude. But this one, which I received today, was just mean. Just plain mean.
Before you read further, for background, I wrote a couple of columns about what men and women should and shouldn't wear, with my tongue firmly planted in my cheek, which I disclosed in each column. I used words like bra (wear one) and polyester. I called boobies "dumplings." Most of the feedback I heard was positive and most people said both columns gave them a good chuckle. Then there's this idiot...here's his letter, UNSIGNED, in its entirety...
It would be wise of you to tend to your own business and quit telling people what to wear. Get a life.
Your comments tell me you have very little home training and manners, and you are jealous of other women and must be post menopausal and in need of hormones. Your mama didn't raise you right, and as far as dumplings go, you must not have any and resent the fact real women do.
Are you teaching your daughter any manners? I hope so, but it doesn't sound like it.
And please quit the photos of you. I have looked enough. If I were you, I'd quit worrying about other people's underwear (which is none of your business!) and worry about my job.
Let's face it, you are ignorant, have no class, stupid and a disgrace to the paper. I won't be renewing as long as you work there.
People can wear anything they want, lady, even if they are 60 or 80, male or female and it is none of your business. You are a vulgar, nasty, nosy slob. Oh yeah, get some makeup and grow some hair and lose some weight.
Ex-subscriber
I expect to get criticism from readers who become disgruntled because of one reason or another. I expect some folks to just plain not like me because they have an issue with the paper. I don't take it personally. Over the years, I have developed pretty thick skin, and I just let most of it go. But this one bothered me.
It bothered me not because it was so mean, but because someone would take the time to spew such venom. A person I have never met, who knows very little if anything about me, took the time to write this. It bothers me that there are people like this in the world. It bothers me that there are people like this in my community.
Yep. I said MY community. Like it or not, I live in Tifton now. And a few folks who are only happy if they are unhappy are neither going to run me off or keep me down. I will continue to do my job to the best of my ability. That will likely include changes to the paper – and for those who don't like change, you can just get out of the way. Stop reading. Leave town. We don't need you to read our paper and we don't need you in this community.
I won't stoop to this person's level and publish any of this, because as editor, I don't allow our pages to be used for bullying or idiocy. This brand of ugly has no place in my paper.
I hope I get to meet this person sometime. That is, if this person ever grows a set. I've got some sappy, sweeter than saccharine comments for you, buddy.

No comments:
Post a Comment