Wednesday, December 21, 2011

It's raining outside, it's just a few days before Christmas, and once again, I'm dreaming of a white Christmas. Lord have mercy, do I miss snow!

There is just something magical about waking up to a fresh new blanket of snow. It's like sometime during the night, the earth was covered with newness. New snow makes it feel like we all get a fresh start...a clean slate.

I can always tell when it's going to snow, you know. It's not just "that look" the sky has, but there's a smell the air has right before it snows. And I apparently have a sixth sense that allows me to sniff that scent right out. I always know. And I am like a little kid at Christmas...I can hardly wait.

Speaking of Christmas, there's nothing like a white Christmas. When it's snowing outside and you're gathered with loved ones on Christmas day, it just makes it that much better.

One of my favorite things to do when I lived in Oregon was to just sit and watch the snow fall. Watching those big old flakes fall slowly to the ground gave me such a peaceful feeling. I loved watching it fall, looking at it covering everything, including the mountains...heck, I didn't even mind shoveling the stuff.

As I look outside today and watch it rain, I have to admit, it's disappointing. I'd much rather be looking at snow falling. And since I'm going to Tampa for Christmas, I know I won't see any. But it's okay. I'll be with my family, and that makes it all better.

Besides, snow or no snow, Christmas is a special time. It's not about snow. It's not about Christmas trees and decorations. It's not about gifts. It's not even about gathering with loved ones. It's about a baby's heart beating for you and for me. It's about a Father longing for his prodigal children, and the great and glorious steps He took to bridge the gap.

There's a popular bumper sticker saying that you see everywhere during the holidays: "Jesus is the reason for the season." While it certainly is a time to celebrate His birth, the holiday, I think, is more about God reaching out to us. We are the reason that Jesus gave His life, so I think perhaps we are the reason for the season.

I'm sure that when Mary looked into her baby boy's eyes, she saw that, too.

"Behold, I bring you good tidings of great joy, which shall be to all people..."

No comments: