This was my column about this time last year...can't believe a year has passed already....but it's a good reminder...ladies...feel your boobies!
I’ve had a scare during the past few weeks. One that, considering what month it is, was a little ironic.
You see, it’s Breast Cancer Awareness Month – and I found a lump in my own breast a few weeks ago.
I immediately went to the doctor, and was sent to get a mammogram and sonogram to find out what was going on in there. I had to wait a couple of weeks for that appointment. Then I had the tests, and I had to wait a week to find out what they saw. It really is true what they say...the waiting is almost as bad as finding out that you have cancer.
Then I finally got the call. They told me I had two cysts, and I would need yet another trip to the doctor to have the fluid taken out to find out if there was anything cancerous about them. As I wrote this Monday morning, I was nervously anticipating that appointment that afternoon.
You see, I’m a bit needle-phobic. I’m the crazy lady that passes out when they try to take blood. I’ve been banned in two states, so far, from giving blood. They don’t like how pale I get and the fact that there’s a liability factor that comes into play as I hit the floor.
Did I mention I don’t like needles?
And Monday morning, I was not looking forward to having a super-sized one coming at me. I told them they’d have to knock me out. They laughed. I told them I’d pass out. They patted me on the arm and said, “You’ll be in a reclining chair for the procedure, so it’ll be all right.”
As the staff taking care of me watched my face get paler and paler Monday afternoon, to the point that my freckles really stood out, they began to take me seriously. And although I didn’t quite get there, I have to say, passing out would be better than that laughing gas you get at the dentist’s office. Works every time.
I now have to have a biopsy. I’m really looking forward to that one.
All in all, having a scare like this really puts things in perspective, and it makes you stop and take the time to appreciate those around you.
Particularly when you have to be away from the office on a Monday afternoon for yet another doctor’s appointment, just before you have to begin laying out the paper, and the office is already short-staffed. I have to say, our staff pulled together and did what needed to be done to make sure this week’s paper made it to the press on time. I appreciate them more than I can say.
And to my fellow chicks out there, remember to do your self-examination each month to make sure your “girls” are healthy. And remind each other to take care of this.
We’re all in this together.
Monday, October 12, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment